A ZIP code extension, commonly known as ZIP+4, is an extra four-digit number added to the standard 5-digit ZIP code. It provides a specific location within a ZIP code, such as a particular building or apartment within a complex.
To find the ZIP code extension for a specific address:
USPS Lookup Tool:
- Go to the official United States Postal Service’s ZIP Code Lookup tool.
- Under “Lookup a ZIP Code,” enter the full address, city, and state.
- Click “Search,” and the system will display the full ZIP+4 code for that address.
Address Verification Services:
- Various online services offer address verification, which includes the ZIP+4 code. Some of these are commercial services that might be useful for businesses with higher volumes of addresses to verify.
- Check any official mail (like utility bills, bank statements, or governmental correspondence) you’ve received at the address. The ZIP+4 might be used on these.
Ask Local Post Office:
- Your local post office can provide the ZIP+4 if you provide them with the full address. They might have directories or databases that contain this detailed information.
Remember, while the ZIP+4 code offers more precise information about an address’s location, the standard 5-digit ZIP code is sufficient in most everyday situations. The ZIP+4 is often used by businesses, mail services, and certain governmental bodies for more specific sorting and delivery purposes.